Here are some more reasons I love using mysteries in the reading classroom.
Mystery books work well for...
- Visualizing-The crime is usually described in great detail. What an awesome opportunity to have kids visualize.
- Character traits and interactions-The characters in mysteries often have exaggerated traits making it really easy to discuss how these traits impact behavior.
- Inference-You have suspects and clues and what you know, this works well for inferences.
- Predicting- When reading mysteries it is very natural to make predictions. Since the author often tries to trick the reader adjusting predictions while reading also just fits with mysteries.
- Sequence- Many mystery books have flashbacks. This helps kids work on sequencing events.
- Summarizing- The easy to identify problem, solution and events in mysteries help early readers build summary skills.
When beginning the mystery genre we discuss the story elements that make a book a mystery.
Or click here if you would like to check out my Mystery Genre Product